Monday, April 2, 2007

What can we change?


http://www.fashionindulgence.com/ is a website that sells designer bags and jeans.


  • First of all, the home-page of this site doesn't really make it easy to see what purpose it's there for. It's white and clean looking, but there is a huge block of small print text in the middle of it; it made me dizzy by looking at it. There are too many unimportant words and it's very difficult to read. There is also an animated Asian woman, but her purpose is unknown, since she is neither carrying a designer bag, nor is she wearing designer jeans. I would design the home-page very differently:

a) I would put pictures of my merchandise on the home-page instead of simply mentioning them.


b)I would also get rid of all of the unnecessary text and either put designer bullet points or just have a designer index.


c) I would get rid of the animated Asian woman who blinks her eyes and has moving hair, because the site does not cater to a specific Asian clientele, nor does she serve any purpose or show any items.



  • Second of all, the site has two options: a Flash or a HTML option. The first few times I clicked on the HTML option, there was an error and I couldn't access the site. Also, the Flash opening is very strange and not very appropriate for the site. It is very important to make sure that a site runs smoothly, because people do not have the time to wait for a site to load with a lot of flash, but they don't want to keep reloading a page either. I also had a few problems loading within the site as well, and I also had problems with the function of the back button. Had I not been doing an assignment, I would have been deterred by all the technical difficulty of loading!
  • Another issue with the page is that it only lists three designers on its index and on the home-page, but it has a few items by other designers, who are not mentioned. This is strange and I think there should be a complete designer index that is either alphabetized or arranged in some other way that makes sense.
  • This site only has an email contact and they don't tell their potential customers where they are located or offer any kind of contact information besides an email. My concern is that when you sell very expensive bags and jeans, you should be reachable for questions and/or concerns, because people tend not to buy expensive items from a site that they have no contact with.
  • Finally, this site has its terms and conditions only on the home-page (very small print on bottom right), and since the site has trouble with its back button, the terms are virtually impossible to find. Once an item is received, a customer has 48 hours to return it. That almost sounds ridiculous to me, because if a company stands by its products, customers can be given at least a few more days to return something. Also, they charge a 10% restock fee upon the return of any item (along with shipping), and that is pretty uncommon with any of their competitors. Their merchandise is expensive, and they end up making money whether someone keeps an item or not.

Overall, this site has many problems and without some serious changes I would never shop there.





No comments: